Educational & Community Outreach
The Florida Institute of Oceanography cultivates future oceanographers and supports the skills included in STEM/STEAM learning. FIO shares knowledge and information about our research vehicles, technologies and the importance of oceanographic research with groups of all types.
St. Petersburg Science Festival
- FIO is a regular host and exhibitor at the St. Petersburg Science Festival, where the public is invited to participate in hands-on science, technology, engineering and art and math (STEAM). FIO conducts ROV demonstrations and Research Vessel tours. Watch this short St. Petersburg Science Fest (YouTube) news video at USFSP by WTSP to see what this year’s Science Fest might include. Save the Date for 2020: October 17.
- FIO is a STEMConnect Presenter streaming sessions with a focus on careers in Oceanography to classrooms around the state of Florida.
Research Vessel Tours
- Vessel Tours: FIO conducts tours of its world-class research vessels to groups of all types and encourages K-12 classes to visit Bayboro Harbor and participate! Email Chris Sharp for vessel touring availability.
Florida Oceans Day
- FIO hosts and sponsors the coastal/ocean exhibits and Economy Forum annually at the Florida Capitol in Tallahassee for Florida Oceans Day.
- FIO is proud to be a sponsor of the Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill & Ecosystem Science (GOMOSES) Conference 2020. Marking the 10-year anniversary of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, the conference showcases the culmination of a decade of dedicated research. Join us at the Tampa Convention Center from February 3-6, 2020 and increase your knowledge of marine oil spill science, Gulf ecosystems, and the impacts of the Deepwater Horizon spill to those ecosystems and communities. Visit the Conference website for more information and registration.