The Florida Institute of Oceanography (FIO) operates vessels that are utilized by member institutions and the wider marine science community to further scientific research on the Gulf of Mexico, its ecology, marine life and sustainability. The information gleaned from the studies assist in monitoring not only the Gulf of Mexico, but also the world’s deepwater and coastal oceans and many facets of marine life.
Vessels in the news
- May 23, 2017 - USF, FL Institute of Oceanography launch research vessel. -- Channel 13 Fox News [RV W. T. Hogarth]
- April 27, 2017 – USF scientists headed for Cuba to study what it looks like before any oil spills – Craig Pittman TampaBay.com [RV Weatherbird II]
- October 18, 2016 – OneGulf Voyage Gathers Unprecedented Marine Samples for Two Oil Spills – Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative [RV Weatherbird II]
- March 24, 2015 – What FGCU students learn aboard floating classroom [RV Bellows]
- Jan 3, 2005 – U.S. confirms deepest U.S. reef found by Florida researchers [RV Bellows]