Research Vessel (R/V) W.T. Hogarth is the Florida Institute of Oceanography's (FIO) newest state-of-the-art Research Vessel, completing construction in 2017. Named after FIO’s former director, Bill Hogarth, the 78-foot "floating laboratory" has room for a crew of 5. The Hogarth is equipped with berths for 10 scientists, wet & dry labs on board, a Satellite Internet Link, Fisheries Eco-Sounders, Dual Head Swath Bathymetry (for bottom-mapping), and a Dynamic Positioning System.
Florida Institute of Oceanography (FIO) would like to thank the State Legislature, University of South Florida (USF), University of West Florida (UWF), Florida Atlantic University(FAU), Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU), University of North Florida (UNF), University of Florida (UF), Florida Institute of Technology (FIT), Eckerd College, Florida International University (FIU), Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU), Nova Southeastern University (NSU), University of Central Florida (UCF), Florida State University (FSU), FIO and the City of St. Petersburg for making funds available for the construction of a new research vessel.
For a full Spec Sheet, click here
Questions regarding rates, equipment, etc.- please email the Marine Operations Manager
Research and Educate
R/V W. T. Hogarth in the News
- November 7, 2017 - USF, Florida Welcome New Research Vessel - WUSF News
- October 23, 2017 - Florida Institute of Oceanography [FIO] welcomes new research vessel - Bay News 9
- May 25, 2017 - Launch of Research Vessel, W.T. Hogarth -- The Maritime Executive
- May 23, 2017 - New Research Vessel to Impact Marine Research Across Florida -- USF News Channel
- May 23, 2017 - FIO has a new way to sudy oil spills and red tides. -- Channel 10 CBS News
- May 23, 2017 - USF, FL Institute of Oceanography launch research vessel. -- Channel 13 Fox News
- May 23, 2017 - Student scientists get new boat to study Tampa Bay Area. -- Channel 28 ABC News
- June 1, 2016 – Florida Institute of Oceanography and USF System Host the “Keel Laying Ceremony” for a New State-funded Marine Research Vessel – USF News
- May 24, 2016 – New 78' research vessel to be built for Florida – WorkBoat
- May 12, 2016 – Longtime Tarpon Springs boat builder to construct state research vessel – Tampa Bay Times