The Gulf of Mexico University Research Collaborative (GOMURC) unites the marine-related, University-based research consortium existing in each of the Gulf States, which represent 80 public and private universities. Principal member consortia include:
- AL - The Alabama Marine Environmental Sciences Consortium (MESC)
- FL - The Florida Institute of Oceanography
- LA - The Louisiana State University (LSU) Gulf Research Collaborative (no website) (LSU)
- MS - The Mississippi Research Consortium (MRC)
- The Texas Research Consortium (no website) (Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico)
GOMURC's mission is to advocate for science and education activities required to support science-based policies to restore and sustain Gulf natural resources and economy. They coordinate activities with members, local, state, federal and international partners and authorities in opportunities that advance their mission and support outreach and education activities that promote university research results, workforce development and public literacy.